Thursday, March 12, 2009

Confessions of a Picky Eater

I'm not nearly as picky of an eater as I was when I was a child... back then, I didn't care for plain chocolate, hated hamburgers, gagged at the thought of a pickle, didn't like the "texture" of strawberries, and was not a fan of messy casseroles (I even went through a weird phase of not eating food if it touched... I was an odd kid).

Now, I'm not AS picky but I still have some dislikes. I realized a few months ago that I'm not much of a salad person. My main complaint is the lettuce really. A garden salad? BORING! Salad in fancy restaurants is a little different... I generally like those but I can never seem to replicate it at home. The only other times I can change my tune about salad is when it has, what I lovingly refer to it as, "candy" in it — fruit like pears and yummy cheeses or nuts. Something to mix it up... and distract me from all that boring lettuce.

What I am also not a huge fan of is sandwiches. One HUGE exception is the ridiculous Bresaola sandwich I have every Thursday with coworkers on our walk back from weekly meetings in Soho. And every Thursday, we stop at Grandaisy Bakery on Sullivan Street and walk back to work in bliss eating our yummy sandwiches and still gushing as if it were our first time trying them. Their lemon coconut tart is also pretty ridiculous. Mmmm.

The website Scanwiches posted on Swiss Miss pretty much gets my point about the grossness of sandwiches though. Its solely scans of sandwiches. And there is nothing remotely appealing about them to me. Blegh!

No comments: