Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sunday is my 2-year anniversary

Yes, its true. Hard to believe how fast time has gone by, eh?

Two years ago on August 3, 2006... I ran over a mile for the first time ever. I bought my Nike+ for my ipod and tracked my workout. It took me about an hour but I completed about 4 1/2 miles on a cool August evening. I did a walk/run technique and my pace was a very slow 11 1/2 minute miles. A month later on September 30, I competed my first 5K which was probably also the first time I ran at least a mile without stopping to walk (9:11 pace!).

Now two years later, I'm preparing for a 17-miler tomorrow (although to be good to my body after the race last weekend, I may only go 15). I would have never guessed that that little chip in my shoe would have motivated my lazy non-athlete self to run 4 half-marathons and be on my way to my second full-marathon and my first triathlon. Don't get me wrong... my runs still sometimes hurt... I'm definitely sometimes bored... but the feeling after my runs and moments like now when I look back on my accomplishments are so worth it all. I am the poster child for "If I can do it, anyone can."

No comments: